ModiinApp was started as a small project by 4 friends (three of us live in Modiin - 2 olim and 1 sabra), and quickly grew into the best source for information on local businesses and deals in Modiin. Everything we do is local and authentic. We hope you like it. Get in touch!
The New City Center of Modiin (MA'AR)
Modiin Maccabim Reut's new main commercial area, called MA'AR (Merkaz Asakim Rashi). The first businesses in the area opened at the beginning of 2020.
The city center, which is planned to be the city's main leisure and recreation area, features a kilometer-long avenue (Sdera) with wide sidewalks, walkways, parks, benches, water fountains and more.
In the center of the avenue, there are five eateries: a kosher meat restaurant Kasba, from the owners of Caffit Modiin; a branch of the Pasta Basta chain from Machane Yehuda; burger restaurant ASAP, and pizzeria Bastard - both owned by the successful local pub, 'More Than Bar'; and the first Modiin branch of the national chain of ice cream parlors from Nahariya Leggenda.
Dozens of additional businesses and eateries already operate on both sides of the avenue (for full list click here!), and many more are yet to be opened. All businesses in the city center are permitted to be open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
The new avenue creates an urban continuum for pedestrians, and connects all the main sites of the city center: Kikar HaTachbura (the public transportation circle), Anava Park, Modiin's central railway station, Azrieli Mall and various public buildings.
At the bottom of the avenue there is a crossing to Azrieli Mall, and there will also be a square and an area designated for the establishment of a city market.
(Some already function and some are still being planned/built)
- Moadon Gray ('The Gray Club') - Multifunctional cultural and music venue hosting some of the best-known music and stand-up artists in the country. The venue includes an auditorium with modular seats, a gallery, a large lobby and restaurant.
- Azrieli Hotel - the city's first hotel, being built by the Azrieli company. The hotel is currently in the process of being built and is expected to open during 2023.
- A young adult center - entrepreneurs hub with dedicated programs for young adults in the city.
- Hasmonean Heritage Museum - presenting the story of the city from the days of the Hasmoneans, throughout the various historical eras, and up to the founding of the modern city of Modiin, in an interactive way that provides visitors with a multi-sensory experience.
- Culture and events: planned events include: a Yom Ha'atzmaut party, artistic performances inspired by the Circus Festival on Sukkot, alongside the creation of customized events for the various communities of the city, such as storytelling for the little ones, playgrounds, family oriented performances in the afternoons, happy hours for adults in the evening and more.
- A senior living facility - residential facility withing walking distance of the mall and train station, being built by the 'Ad 120' chain.
There are currently (Winter-Spring 2022) two underground car parks that are open for all visitors:
- Chanyon HaSdera (operated by the Modiin municipality) - 500 parking spaces, first 2 hours free.
- Yaakobi Car Park - 350 parking spaces approx, 1st hour free.
Approximately 470 housing units are being built along the avenue in buildings of 5 floors, with the bottom floor as commercial space, including stores, restaurants, pubs and cafes. Above them are 4 floors of residential space, with around 60% 2-3 room apartments and the rest 4-5 room apartments.
On the side of the avenue facing Arar and the continuation of Dam HaMaccabim, there are buildings with two floors of retail stores and offices, with 3 additional floors of residential space above them.
The cafes and restaurants on the avenue are surrounded by tall shady trees, which were purchased by the municipality several years ago to grow to the required height to provide shade for those spending time on the avenue, as well as the shade of buildings on both sides of the street, that create shaded areas for most of the day.